AOKP ROM for AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 [Ice Cream Sandwich]
AOKP ROM, an AOSP custom ROM based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 seems to be conquering a lot of devices each passing day, as more and more devices get an AOKP port. The latest to join the party is the AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-i777, the AT&T branded sibling of the international Galaxy S2 i9100, thanks to a port by XDA developer Fenny.
AOKP ROM brings a stock Android experience with fast performance, and a level of customization not seen on other ROMs. It’s built entirely from source, so you will find no manufacturer-added stuff like custom UIs etc on AOKP.
The ROM is in beta stage so exercise caution while trying it out, as it still has bugs and issues present, which should be resolved as time goes by. Read on to find out how to flash AOKP ROM on your AT&T Galaxy S2 i777.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2, model number SGH-i777. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
Developer → Fenny
- The screen powers on randomly at times, this is likely being caused because of the i9100 Kernel coupled with the i777 Modem.
- Only the Menu, and Home soft keys work, and Home behaves like the back button. (This is not likely to be fixed until we get Kernel source from the i9100)
- YouTube videos are… “Different”
- Important! A rooted AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 with Clockworkmod recovery installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to flash AOKP ROM on AT&T Galaxy S2 i777
- Download the latest version of AOKP ROM from the original development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip
- Download the root package, which is required for getting root access on the ROM.
Download Link | Filename: SuInstall.zip
- Transfer the zip files you downloaded in step 1, 2 and 3 to your internal sdcard (not the external microSD).
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, hold both volume buttons and the power button for about 10 seconds and then release all three when you see the Galaxy S II logo disappear and reappear. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option in recovery.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select “backup and restore” –> On the next screen, Select Backup again. Then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now, select “wipe data/factory reset”. Then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm. (This will not touch your SD cards so don’t worry).
- Then, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Then, browse to the ROM file and select it.
- Confirm installation on the next screen by selecting the option “Yes — Install *your_rom_name*.zip“. The ROM will now start installing.
10. After the ROM finishes installing, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
11. Now repeat step 8, but this time select the Google apps package file gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip to install the Google apps package.
12. After the installation of Google apps finishes, repeat step 8 again, this time selecting the root package file SuInstall.zip to root the ROM.
13. After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
14. After the ROM boots, download Superuser app from the Android Market to be able to use root functions.
That’s it. AOKP ROM based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 is now installed on your AT&T Galaxy S2 i777. Follow the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.